Experimental film is formed through the:
- Lack of linear narrative.
- The use of multiple conceptual techniques including; out-of-focus, painting or scratching on film, and rapid editing.
- The utilisation of non-diegetic sound or even the scarcity of any sound track.
- To position the viewer in a more thoughtful, active relationship to the film.
- “Advance guard” otherwise referred to as “vanguard”.
- A way of art and literature which was created during the 20th century, focusing on the subconscious or non rational significance of imagery. This is via the exploitation of chance effects and unexpected juxtapositions.
- A prime of a surrealist is Salvador Dali, a famous artist from Europe.
- “Surrealism was a means of reuniting conscious and unconscious realms of experience so completely, that the world of dream and fantasy would be joined to the everyday rational world in an absolute reality, a surreality.” – André Breton, 1924.